Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Toy Gun Which Looks Real

Rome Province: Free Internet, wireless e. .. without e-mail

's coming on Christmas of 2010 and several months to teach basic computer literacy courses to courses funded by the Province of Rome and organized by Sediin .
From September When I teach the module on weekly Internet and e-mail, explain to students what is the service Rome Province Wi Fi " and how do we use it. The post " Try Rome Province WiFi "starts writing the information I have given voice to the students.
Although I registered since September with Rome Province Wi Fi, I managed to make my first experience only Sunday, December 12, the access point Via Monte Zebio in the Prati district.
Summary of experience: the connection to the service is easy . The connection speed fluctuates a lot, but all in all it . The mail does not work, as he had discovered Sandro Auditorium (see the end of post "Try Rome Province WiFi"). And 'no conceivable Internet e-mail?

's suggestion Raffaele

early December, during a digital literacy, we are trying Google Maps, the Google program to find locations and routes set. We try to create some way. We use the Street View function to simulate the vision of the road as it will appear when we behind the wheel of the car. We also look at access points service Rome Province Wi Fi . Raffaele P. , a student of the course, he realizes that they have opened a new access point via Monte Zebio in the Prati district, just steps from his house. We're going to do with the Street View. Behind me, the projector displays via Monte Zebio and bar Vanni. Raffaele wakes up, goes with his finger on an image point and states: "I live there, in that window. I want to try the County Wi Fi service."
E 'already the second student who declares in public that will test a service that I, his teacher, I have not tried it yet. Not good. I am departing from one of my professional principles : If you propose something to a customer, you must have already proven you . It 's time to try WiFi Rome Province.

pole sawn Via Monte Zebio

The December 12. Sunday morning, I go with a small Netbook (those computers smaller than an A4-size, three hundred euro, with the apparatus for the wireless connection built in) to Via Monte Zebio , in Prati.
Fa cold.
The first thing that strikes me, when entrance from Piazza Mazzini Via Monte Zebio, is that the road sign for County Wi Fi is on the ground.
watch carefully and I notice that the pole, I think I cast was sawn.
Wow! To saw that tube will have to use an electric saw. How much effort against Province WiFi. Photographer
the sign on the ground and the detail of the lumber pile.

My test

I go further into the street. Arrival at the intersection of Via Monte Zebio and via Col di Lana, where is the bar Vanni.
In the middle of the street between two rows of trees, there is a protected area by the parking of cars.
planted, in full view, there is a sign marking the ' area wireless Internet provincial Wi Fi , created with the contribution of bank Unicredit.
The protected area for pedestrians would be a nice place to chat, read the newspaper or to stop the stroller. Unfortunately missing benches for some reason.
I lean against the metal bar.
pull out the laptop from the bag.
I turn and look for wireless networks.

Wireless

I find now the network of the province.
Joining is easy. In a simple form
- with the colors red, white and blue typical of the Province of Rome - the first part of the the line username .
In the second row, password (which in Italian translates as password, it does not sound bad).
few seconds of control and are already within the web.

How large is the band?

I surf a bit '. Around to different places. Control the speed of the connection.
the bottom right of the screen on my computer running Microsoft Windows XP, I see the taskbar.
There is an icon with a computer screen and radio waves on the wireless connection. I right-click the icon and displays the connection status.
the signal strength is good , four notches up five . The
connection speed is good ranges from 11 (eleven) to 5 (five) megabits per second.
Occasionally drops even lower.
I miss a tool for averaging. Do I trust my impression.
In my 'opinion trained' (" educated guess" they call it in English) the speed is fine.

And the e-mail?

forewarned by Sandro, I'm going to try the e-mail.
I go on Gmail, the e-mail service from Google.
I sent a letter
electronics three words. With a little 'difficulty arrives. I'm happy. Despite the cold, I try to write an email to Sandro for the Province show that WiFi allows the use of electronic mail. This time, instead of three words are three lines .
Unfortunately the electronic letter will not start. I try several times with different addresses. Nothing. Appear on the screen several error messages, including one that will play next.

Provisional budget

Rome Province WiFi seems like a nice attempt , with plenty of room for improvement. For
me, no Internet mail is like a table without a leg. The first point to be improved could be just that: to make possible on County WiFi, use the normal mail .
However, for those who do not have the time or desire to wait for the improvement of County Wi Fi, the good news is that there are viable alternatives . The
Wi Fi service at McDonald's (read the post with the testing service Free WiFi at McDonald's) is free, easy access and also allows the use of e-mail. I experienced a few weeks ago and work.
***


0 comments:

Post a Comment